August 16, 2006

Those wacky liberals

I have to say this isn't the most political of blogs, but I am someone who follows politics quite closely.

I think the Liberal leadership race is really a race among second tier candidates. Not that any of the candidates are second tier, but the fact of the matter is the timing is not good for any of them. There is also the fact that none of them are heavyweights within the liberal party, this may or may not be a good thing.

I think the liberals are really in a tough spot, they need to find someone who can grow the party, and who can stand up to Stephen Harper. I find it unlikely that Harper will allow the leader to get very comfortable before an election is called. He'll try to do what Chretien did to Stockwell Day, destroy the opponent before they even have a chance.

I think the Liberals need to take some time to reflect on why they lost to Stephen Harper, they haven't really begun that process yet.

I think the Liberals lost because they have no idea what thye stand for anymore. Canadian politics has been moving towards a more ideological politics which favours those on the left and on the right with strong ideologies. This environment doesn't favour a party without principles.

The liberals also have to face the fact that they cannot continue to talk left and act right forever. Someone has to realize the contradiction sooner or later. The hypocrisy is evident especially in their positions on Kyoto. We'll sign it but DO ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to acheive the goals, other than budget a bunch of money that will eventually be spent on something relating to Kyoto.

Will any of the leaders be able to create something coherent out of the current Liberal mess, well I certainly don't think so, nor would I want that job

No comments: