November 12, 2006

Long time; No post

Well I haven't posted in a while and it really is because not much is going on right now, well not things i'll discuss on this blog anyways.

However I will say i am excited to see the new bond movie. Even more so after seeing a rather disappointing movie with Hugh Jackman in it. It seems like he's in every new movie coming out, but the one I saw was The Prestige. The movie itself wasn't too bad but I managed to figure out the main 'surprise' about 3/4 of the way through the movie.
Well that and it didn't really make much sense to me anyways.

The other thing that i've been thinking about is Paul Wells new book, Right Side Up. I've been following Well's blog for a couple of months now and generally i have to say i am impressed.

The book goes a step beyond and really clarifies for me how Paul Martin failed. I've heard a few interview with him, and my friend Pat and I went to get our copies of the book signed. He seems like such an unassuming character, but he is at his best in the new book.

He writes well and really fits the demise of Paul Martin into a larger context. i am a pretty astute follower of politics, but I am new to the game, a lot of these battles go back further than I can remember so it's nice to see someone with a bit more perspective.

I also think it's valuable as Wells mentions to remember why everybody thought Paul Martin was going to be such a great PM. He really had everyone thinking he was going to do such wonderful things. It turns out those impressions didn't last long.

Anyways that's what i've been up to. I also picked up two other books this weekend. Heart matters by Adrienne Clarkson, and a new book by Thomas Homer Dixon, somebody I discovered by accident courtesy of the bargain bin at Chapters.

Oh and I had a lemon meringue pie tonight.. doesn't it look yummy...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is a nice pie; I'm sorry I was unvailable this weekend to come over and have a piece! ;-)

The book by Paul Wells does a good job at explaining, from his view, the colossal failure Martin was, and how everybody thought he was going to sweep the West and Quebec.

I think history shows us that whenever a person enters the stage as the "saviour" of Canadian politics, they usually fall flat. Trudeau (as must as I didn't agree with his policies), Mulroney, Chretien and Harper were all individuals who were considered "underdogs" and not expected to win. Yet, they did, and went on to govern us for two-three terms and provided us (with the exception of Trudeau) with the constitutional standard of peace, order and good government (sponsorship scandal aside).