August 01, 2007

Conservatives still have to follow the law

Thank god someone had the good sense to stand up to the conservatives on the issue of the wheat board monopoly. They were told today that they have to get a vote in parliament in order to remove (or destroy) the wheat board's monopoly in the Western Canadian trade in barley.

Now I personally disagree with this policy for a number of reasons but most troubling for me, has been the totally disrespectful and irresponsible way they have been trying to implement this policy. They started by not allowing any debate on the issue and censuring the head of the wheat board with a gag order. Then they held a plebiscite on the issue in which they muddied the waters with unclear questions, they did not receive majority support for the option they are promoting and called it a success! You can see the questions here

Anyways at least there was a judge willing to stand up the bullying of the Conservatives!!

I think they really need to remember their roots and their supposed democratic credentials. They seem intent on doing everything in the dark and not having public debates. I suppose they've taken some lessons from the Liberals.

I think the real question is whether the conservatives actually have any of the feigned outrage left after they have basically become the new Liberals. They deserve all the criticism they have received. I wonder if they can come up with any ideas that aren't stolen from the Liberal playbook this fall.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"were told today that they have to get a vote in parliament in order to remove (or destroy) the wheat board's monopoly in the Western Canadian trade in barley."

"Now I personally disagree with this policy"

That's a real surprise.. I would have never thought that!

I would give you my opinion on the subject, but 1) you probably wouldn't care and 2) you've probably heard it before.

I tried to give you my thoughts on the subject when you ranted about it early, but I was unable to break your speech..

I read the questions, and I really don't know what you mean when you write, "they held a plebiscite on the issue in which they muddied the waters with unclear questions"

I read the questions (I appreciate you linking to them) and I found them easy to understand. I would not say at all that they "muddied the waters" -- perhaps you like to think they did because it advances your viewpoint. Perhaps saying that the farmers didn't really know what they were voting is another way to advance your view -- but clearly of those who voted (I don't care about the opinions of those that didn't vote) said they either wanted the option of selling to the CWB or wanted to "destroy it". Only 37% wanted the status quo.

I don't expect you to agree with this, but a true conservative is somebody that believes that government shouldn't be interfering in the market place; why should a barley farmer in Saskatchewan be forced to sell to the CWB when a barley farmer in Ontario is free to sell to whomever they want? Are you implicitedly saying that Saskatchewans need government intervention, whereas Ontarians are not worthy of the same policy? Why not include Ontario under the CWB's mandate, if you believe it is so good?

You've never given me a good answer to that question and I suspect that you won't today.

I disagree with your rant, but that shouldn't surprise you either!