May 23, 2009

The Book of Negroes

I just finished reading the Book of Negroes by Lawrence Hill.

I was an intersting one, and really makes one think about the historical legacy of slavery. I was thinking as well about the actual globalization that this involved. It was really about the movement of people physically across oceans.

It also made me think about the role of education in emancipating people. That seems to be the subtext to the book, as the protagonist, is able to escape from her situation in part because of her education and her ability to read.

It reminded me of an recent article on another blog about the importance of the Public Broadcasting in terms of education here . It was a really interesting one and made me think even more about how the CBC has made me feel Canadian. I think it's been one secret ingredient in the successful integration of immigrants as well. This important function of public broadcasting, particularly in my experience CBC is underrated.

No comments: