January 23, 2010

Video game nostalgia

Thanks to an Xmas present from my brother I was able to have some good nostalgic memories about playing SNES games.

It came out between 1990 and 1993 (....ok I checked wikipedia..) I would've been about 10 years old or so when we got one. It was great, and it was the only system for a period of about 5 years, so they made tons of games for it.

Our ended up being stolen in the end, but I always remember SuperMario World. It's amusing to think how much time I must've spend playing that game, as I swear I know all the ins and out and secrets of the entire game.

I don't watch a ton of TV now, but I think back, I must've spent hours and hours watching TV as a kid, and also played a lot of video games. I remember how angry i got at my parents because my mom decided that she was going to use the TV as a babybsitter for my youngest brother, I was appalled that he was just sat in front of the TV so often. Although the rest of us have glasses, I'm pretty sure the fact that he sat 1 foot in front of the TV contributed to him needing glasses as well.

I wonder what it will be like for any children we may have, heck I still remember life before the internet. Any kids I have will be post-google kids, and will never have known a time before wireless internet everywhere and cell phones for everyone! Crazy to think of how much things have changed...

However despite my opposition, I guess we're all influenced by TV and video games to a certain extent regardless of how much we watched or how often we played.

SuperMario certainly brings back good memories for me

No comments: