February 20, 2010

Calvin and Hobbes

I've been a Calvin and Hobbes fan for a long time. Actually it all started after a friend gave my dad a copy of one of the books which contained some of the strips. I grabbed it from my dad (who i don't think ever actually read it) and never looked back.

I was thinking that some of my copies were pretty ratty, and maybe I should look into getting the complete series, which I recently discovered was available. This week was my birthday and so instead of actually going out and purchasing it my wife bought it for me as a birthday present.

I'm sure it will bring back a lot of memories. I think the strip had particular appeal to me as I was growing up, and in my adolsecent years at the time. The idea of an irascible, annoying but snarky child held some appeal then. It was around for only 10 years, from 1985 - 1995. It's been a long time since there have been any new strips, so I'm sure when I start going through them some will feel dated, but they seemed so timely then.

I'm sure as I keep rereading them, some of the strips with the parents will become even more relevant.

Apparently there is also a new book that's come out about the whole story of how Bill Watterson ended up creating the strip. I'm looking forward to finding that and reading it.

No comments: