May 23, 2010

Public Service Renewal

Well for the first time in a while I thought I'd write a post about my work. Now this post is slighlty dated as I had hoped to post it last week when this was fresher but it's still very relevant.

I work for the federal government and one of the things we have heard a lot about is Public Service renewal, meaning the attempt to start hiring so that they will actually have the capacity to replace all the boomers that wll be retiring over the next several years.

I along with some colleagues decided to organize a group discussion on the topic recently and thought it didn;t go quite as I expected it to go, it went really well.

It felt really good to have a forum for discussing these issues and I hope that we can keep the energy going and momentum and keep things moving along. It was really encouraging to see the response in terms of turnout and the energy in the room as well.

It turns out that there is a lot of interest in changing things and adapting to the new forces in the world.

Two things that struck me, the first was how much focus was on management and more particularly the generational divide. I haven't seen as much of this recently in my own work situation, I suppose because I have had bosseson the younger end of things.

The second was the need to really engage on the issue of technology and the impact on how we do things. I was struck by the lack of enthusiasm expressed by some particularly when coupled with the seeming techno-optimism of others.

Anyways it was an interesting event and the first of many in this necessary conversation about renewal.

No comments: