December 30, 2006

Saddam Hussein

Well he's dead.

I think the whole process has been a sham, and as I discovered when i took some ethical philosophy courses a few years ago, for me the ends never justify the means.

That course actually made me think a lot more about ethics and how to construct and ethical argument. One of my essays was actually on the death penalty and I actually found one of the most convincing arguments to be a utilitarian (in other words the ends justify the means, ie whatever makes the most people happy) argument against the death penalty.

In essence the argument was that in killing these people we are in effect letting them off the hook. It's a quick relatively painless process, as opposed to slaving away or sitting in a jail cell for 20 years.

Anyways that's all for now.

No comments: