August 15, 2009

Information overload!

One of my recent discoveries was the google reader. This allows you to gather RSS feeds from different websites.

I used to check out probably 10-15 websites daily, sometimes a few times a day. Using RSS feeds I've been able to increase the number of sites I follow, as I don't waste time surfing sites which haven't been updated. It also allows me to keep track of sites that aren't updated very often, and I might overlook.

However it really changes the nature of the process. You can see how many unread articles there are. I think that's a big part of the feeling of information overload.

For me it's the same with itunes. I haven't had my number of un listened to podcasts dip below 20 for quite some time! I end up deleting interesting material simply because I don't think I'll have time to get for it. It's actually not too bad during the summer because some of the podcasts don't get updated.

I guess this is the problem of the internet age, too much information.

No comments: