August 08, 2009

Urban Revolution

I just finished an interesting book called the Urban Revolution, it's an interesting book that focuses on what the author Jeb Brugmann calls urbanisms, which are urban capacities and style and way of doing things unique to a given city.

What was interesting was how he put Canadian cities like Toronto and Vancouver in the category of opportunity cities. These are cities which have a hard time getting everyone organized to take advantage of their strategic advantages, to create a really amazing urbanism. Part of this is due to way our cities are organized politically, they are seen are the poor cousin of provinces and lack revenue raising tools that would allow them to be more flexible and create in their development policies.

One of the most interesting parts of the book for me, was related to his description of Chicago, and the importance of community organizers and community organizations in revitalizing and create the civic space, which has helped reclaim neighbourhoods in that city. It made me want to go and visit Chicago, and also reminded me of the few times I'd been there, only to the downtown core. I'm always struck by how important a city it is, and how little I know about it's importance and not only because a Chicagoan is now in the White House.

It has one of the busiest airports in the U.S, Chicago is a big city as well. It has an important University and a well known Symphony Orchestra. There is such a thing as Chicago style Jazz, and also Chicago style Pizza, which speak to a sort of cultural influence as well.

I haven't been there in quite a while but after the description in the book, of the renaissance of Chicago it makes me want to explore it again.

No comments: