July 25, 2006

As one window closes andother one opens

Well my last day of work was yesterday. It was the first job I ever actually quit, and had to give notice. I was actually starting to enjoy the job and felt like I was finally comfortable with everything there. I'm glad to be leaving don't get me wrong, but I was finally feeling like part of the team there.

It's interesting how quickly you can become a part of an organization's culture and team. One of the things I learned a lot about during my involvement in WUSC (World University Service Canada) an organization I was involved with for much of my time in university, was that organizational behaviour and effectiveness matters. Unfortunately this was mostly because we couldn't seem to get anything done, and I was always trying to figure out why.

A lot of what my dad was doing in the last few years was workshops designed to increase the effectiveness of organizations. I wish I had access to some of those resources. He was really good at what he did and was really good at his presentations and getting results of out those meetings.

I am glad to be leaving the hotel where I was working and starting my new job. I have a few days off before then so i'm going to try and see some people i've been meaning to see lately.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

we still don't know what this mystery job is ...

Justin said...

I'm not sure I want to say what the mystery job is. Apparently employers search blogs for comments etc and i just don't think I want to risk that.

Not that i'm seriously paranoid, but I do think it prudent.

I'll email you and tell you all about it....

Anonymous said...

Sounds good .... I will be eagerly checking my inbox ...