October 15, 2006

So i've been thinking about what books I should buy. I'm thinking in part that I should start reading some classics, and get a more fundamental sense of what western civilization is and where it comes from. These would be both political and philosophical classics.

I feel as thought I need a better grounding for some of my discussions about modern topics and I think it would help to read some of the authors in their own words.

That list remains to be developed though, and so I have a few books here I've been thinking of getting soon.

Heart Matters by Adrienne Clarkson [given that i'm such a fan of her husband I suppose it makes sense to get her book]
Right Side Up by Paul Wells [I like his blog, and i'm curious what he has to say]
Sorry I don't speak French by Graham Fraser should be an interesting read. Language politics interest me especially living in ottawa as a fluently (relatively speaking) bilingual anglophone

French Kiss by Chantal Hebert. I like what she says most of the time on CBC's the national so her book should be interesting.

The world is Flat by Thomas friedman. I like his stuff usually, though I find it extrremely oversimplified. I have been waiting for a long time for this to come out in paperback. Hopefully it won;t be too much longer

Stumbling on happiness by Daniel Gilbert just plain looks interesting..

Thats the list for now. No surprise it's moslty non fiction with a strong emphasis on Canadian politics for the moment. I haven't seen a book on international affairs that looks promising for a while now. Maybe I just own all the good ones?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So done any book shopping yet? Lately Gary and I have been buying tons - we'll have to hurry though them before xmas when I'm sure we'll get tons more :)