March 27, 2010

Time sure flies

It's been four years since I went to New Zealand and Australia which was initially the reason to start this blog. It enabled me to share the pictures I took on that trip. Go back and look, they are fantastic.

It also means it's been almost four years since my dad passed away.

I find I miss his advice in my current job, he worked in the same field as a public servant, and of course the big life events are always times when I miss him as well. He wasn't at my wedding, he won't see my kids (when I have them), etc.

It's tough, knowing that he won't be around to see all those events.

Can't believe it's been four years already.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know how that is. It's been almost 26 years since my father died. He never saw any of us really grow up never mind meeting our spouses or his grandchildren. He'll always be a young man while his wife, my mother, continues to age. It's a strange thought. Congrats on the longevity of your blog though.

Patrick McIver said...

I think I have said this before, but in case I haven't, I will say it again...

I have often got the impression that you and your dad were pretty close. Though you never really talked about *why* you were close (it's not my place to ask), whenever you write about him, you do so with fondness and sadness.

It also makes me think about my relationship with my father. We weren't as close as (now) I would have liked when I was growing up; he was the busy, workaholic father (by necessity) and I was the "know-everything" stubborn child who had no use for him.

However, as I have grown up, I realize now how close we have become. And I am thankful that he was able to be at my wedding, see me graduate from university (hopefully, soon, with a Masters), see me by my first house and see my first child), I realize that I am grateful for having the opportunity for that experience, because so many people don't (either by death, by divorce, or by choice).

However, as a somewhat religious person, I firmly believe that the departed never leave us; they are looking down on us from heaven, and so, in perhaps a spiritual way, are always present in our lives (if we let them be).

I think your dad would be proud of what you have accomplished; I know many people are.