March 27, 2006

Thinking about a perfect robbery...

I just watched inside man. Interesting movie. I recommend it, if that's worth anything.

I am usually not much of a movie person, that means if i see a movie i am usually bored, or the movie is interesting enough to put my butt in a seat. My brother is the movie buff in the family. Most of the time i'd rather read a book.

Anyways nothing much else is new here, still slogging my way through Atlast Shrugges. It's a monster of a novel, the one thing i don't like is how hard it is to hold. I carried it with me to New Zealand and Australia and back, and hte only problem is that the cover is starting to rip. Not an airplane friendly book(too big).

I read the intro to Jeffrey Sachs book, and i'm curious to see what it contains. For someone who advised Russia on shock therapy, something which wasn't really all that successful and someone who talks about his success in stabilizing currencies in Bolivia(i think)i'm curious what he has to say about the developing world. He seems to be a fairly orthodox economist. Now i am not anti-market, far from it, i think that the market is a very useful and successful tool. I don't think it's more than that, which many economists proclaim. The funny thing is that i read Ann Rand's books and i don't have too many complaints with her goals, i just think it's hilarious to see how much the society we have today, made in some part in her image and how much it differs in results.

I think that ultimately that is the problem with the people like her who push this libertarian view. They don't understand human nature.

No comments: