June 03, 2006

Losing one's sense of Canada

I have heard this a few times recently (from a few friends, and then on the cover of The Walrus), that since the conservatives have come to power, that they feel that the Canada they knew is disappearing. Now I would hope this wasn't simply partisanship. I know some of the people tend to be Liberal supporters, and of course the Walrus seems to be an NDP magazine. If anyone dares link being Canadian, to being a Liberal again, I think I will puke. We may see that slogan come out in the next election campaign.

I heard one of the people describe it as a sense that we are becoming more individualistic, and less community oriented. Now that's a critique that has been appearing for a long time.

My basic problem with such a statement, is that it remains undefined, it's merely a criticism that says, i don't like the conservative government, and i don't know why.

Now I will freely admit that for the moment I am very impressed with the Harper government, I am somewhat conservative, in the more tradition bound sense of the word, but until recently (as in since the last election) I would never have even thought of voting for the Conervatives. I may be naive in supporting the conservatives for the moment I freely admit.

However my problem is that many of what the new government is doing, is exactly the same or extremely similar to what the Liberals have been doing. The Liberal problem with the tax cuts, was they didn't go far enough on the income tax side , and that a GST cut is useless. What kind of criticism is that?

I don't buy this argument, I think it's bogus, and until someone defines it for me, i'm not listening to it anymore

No comments: