May 29, 2006

Still Looking.. Jobs anyone?

Well I am still looking for a job. This is one of the longest periods of unemployment since I started working. I've had one interview and have a few things that might pan out as well.

I started too late for almost every single summer job or internship, though the one interview I had was for a summer job. So therefore this is a search for a 'real' job. Now a real job doesn't necessarily require an office, but it does have to mean something and offer some sort of possibility for a future. (This doesn't include the generic skills gained from any job)

I have started to look at volunteer work, to get me out of the house and do something new and interesting. I decided to focus on working with 'New Canadians' and on literacy work. I have an appointment this week to talk to volunteer ottawa an organization that tries to link people up with volunteer opportunities.

The time off has really been difficult for me to use efficiently. I guess it's so true that you accomplish more when you have more to accomplish. I've done some reading but being the bookworm I am I probably could've done most of it while working.

At least i've had hockey playoffs to keep me busy, and i'm not too strapped for cash right now either. Maybe with the World Cup coming up, it'll keep me occupied until I find a new job.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Justin,

Can completely idenfity with what you are going through - you're in a tough job market, and its hard not having anything to do, especially with Jen gone I'm sure - at least I had Gary to bum around with :) Don't get discouraged, you're bound to find something soon. As for literacy work with new Canadians, you could look into Frontier College - they are a great organiation. Say hi to Jen :)