May 16, 2006

Well well...

Now this post isn't made to offend, it merely parrots some comments i've made to a few friends, and it does reflect my current thinking., You have to admit though, Michael Enright looks and talks as if he lives in New York.

Is Michael Enright an American?

Now anybody who doesn't listen to the CBC will have no idea what i'm talking about, but here goes.

I have been thinking a lot recently about how much southern Ontario feels like the US. I find a good example of this in terms of Michael Enright, he's very much a part of the CBC Toronto elite. To me he sounds like an American, he makes references to baseball rather than hockey (he did a piece on how he never learned to skate). He talks with reverence about U.S magazines like Harper's and loves to talk as if he's a part of the New York elite. He talks about the democrats more often than he does the liberal party of Canada. He uses the words liberal and conservative as if he's an American.

This is an example of how American I find Southern Ontario. After reading Lament of a Nation I realize how much this has been a result of the concious integration of the Southern Ontario into the American economy.

I don't know why i never realized this, or why it has struck me only recently. Perhaps travelling and meeting both Americans and people from Ontario made me realize this.

The funny thing is that I think sometimes Ontarians become the most stridently anti-American, because they have so few real differences from those they are criticizing

1 comment:

~ said...

For once Justin we totally agree on something. World's collide and stars align, and Justin and Leslie agree on something.

Wholly crap, this really is the end of days.